The city and district is named after a Sikh religious figure Tek Singh. Mr Singh was a kind-hearted man who served water and provided shelter to the worn-out and thirsty travellers passing by a small pond (‘Toba’ in Punjabi). The area and the surrounding settlement acquired the name Toba Tek Singh. There is also a park here named after Sardar Tek Singh. There was a pond of water of ‘Sikh’.The British Raj developed Toba Tek Singh at the end of the 19th century when a canal system was built. People from all over Punjab (currently Indian and Pakistani Punjab) moved there as farmlands were allotted to them. Most people who migrated there belonged to Lahore, Jalandhar, and Hoshiarpur districts. The Imperial Gazetteer of India described the tehsil of Toba Tek Singh as Tehsil of the new Faisalabad District, Punjab, lying between 30°50′ and 31°23′ north and 72° 20′ and 72°54′ east, with an area of 865 square miles (2,240 km2). The population in 1906 was 148,984. It contains 342 villages, including Toba Tek Singh (population, 1,874), the headquarters, and Gojra (2,589), an important grain market on the Wazirabad-Khanewal branch of the North-Western Railway. The land revenue and cesses in 1905-06 amounted to 470,000. The tehsil consists of a level plain wholly irrigated by the Chenab Canal. The soil, which is very fertile in the east of the tehsil, becomes sandy towards the west. The boundaries of the tehsil were somewhat modified at the time of the formation of the new District of Faisalabad. The predominantly Muslim population supported Muslim League and Pakistan Movement. After the independence of Pakistan in 1947, the minority Hindus and Sikhs migrated to India while the Muslim refugees from India settled in Toba Tek Singh. Toba Tek Singh is located in central Punjab, occupies 3,252 square kilometres, and is made up of large areas of lowlands that frequently flood during the rainy season. The floods originate from the Ravi River that runs along the southern and southeastern borders. The pre-partition TTS had a sizable Sikh population, much of which migrated to Punjab in modern India in 1947.
Places to Visit
In order to provide recreational facility and clean and green environment, a park was established by the then Tehsil Municipal Administration Toba Tek Singh named Teko Park across an area of 5.57 acres (42.96 kanals). At present, Teko Park has been renovated by the contribution of philanthropists for the welfare of common people.
Forest Park, now known as Manzoor Elahi Forest Park, was established by Government of the Punjab, located on Jhang Road at a distance of approximately 1 km from the old Chungi. The park comprises plantation, playgrounds, and recreational facilities for children, and tiled pathways. Citizens of Toba Tek Singh find this park a rejuvenating reprieve and visit it in large number.
District Sports Complex
District Sports Complex was built a couple of years ago under the supervision of the District Government Toba Tek Singh and aptly caters to the wellness needs of the locals. Sports events are regularly held over here and people of TTS participate in these events at massive level.
Bhagat Wildlife Park
This wildlife park/breeding centre was established in 1987-89 under development scheme ‘Development of Wildlife Park at Toba Tek Singh’. It covers an area of 15 acres comprising grassy lawns, children amusement (swings), and shelters as major facilities.